Monday, May 25, 2009

Raising kids on television

I like to joke that I was raised on television. Not like, on television, but you know, television helped raise me. It's not so much that my sisters and I were plunked in front of the TV and left to fend for ourselves, but I just have so many fond memories of kids shows that I enjoyed.

Sure I liked books and crafts and playing outside, and I have fond memories of those things too, but I don't feel ashamed adding TV shows to my list of nostalgic memories. Getting up early and watching Hercules cartoons with my dad, watching Fred Penner after a bath (there's a pic in my baby book of me and my sister naked in front of the TV with Fred Penner singin' away). 80's kids are very pop-culture nostalgic so maybe that's part of it. Maybe children of the 80's were the first ones who had lots of kids' programming readily available, day and night?

Anyway, just as I have no shame adding TV shows to my list of fond memories, I have no shame getting Clara to watch and enjoy television. Yes, I've tried reading to her. All she wants to do is eat the book. Every time. But to see her giggle at the TV is just precious. Plus, I kind of like watching kid shows again. There are some good ones out there! I'd rather be caught watching a kid show than a reality show any day of the week.

Just some random thoughts. Feel free to chime in.

And now for something completely different. Some adorable lampwork beads from www.DerondaDesigns.artfire.com:

No comments:

Post a Comment